Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Seven words, Harmony...

For a few months now, my husband and I have been struggling to ask our 6-year-old to do her routine things, things she used to love--bath time, brushing her teeth, tidying her room, putting away her toys--without her objecting.  Before you know it, the situation escallates into time outs, taking away her favorite things, etc, etc.  But recently, I noticed that everytime I say these seven magical words, even in the calmest voice, she obeys in the fastest way possible, and does it with a smile. All I have to say is...

"Harmony, it really makes me happy when you...." 

WOW! Whether it's cleaning up after herself, brushing her teeth, taking a bath or setting the table, she happily obliges.  It makes my heart flutter to know that she wants me to be happy and pleased with her enough to obey me.  It makes me so happy that I always give her a hug and a ton of kiss afterwards. And somehow, for her, that is reward enough.

Then here comes God tugging at my heart again. 

"You know, it makes Me happy when you..." 

Ah, yes. I always brag to God that I would go to the ends of the earth and proclaim his Word to show Him how much I love Him.  Yet, I fail at the smallest things like showing kindness, grace and mercy towards others. I slack off in spending quality time with Him and I claim glory over things He has faithfully provided for me. Sigh.  Thank God He cares enough to remind me of what makes Him happy. It's not the great and mighty things I do for Him but the condition of my heart and my attitude of gratitude that proves to Him how much I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment